Truth Frequency Radio


Oct 21, 2012

Police respond to shooting at Wisconsin salon

Fox News

Published October 21, 2012

Associated Press

BROOKFIELD, Wis. – DEVELOPING — Multiple people were wounded in a shooting near a suburban Milwaukee shopping mall on Sunday, and deputies were still looking for the gunman.

Brookfield police told WTMJ-AM the shooting happened about 11 a.m. Sunday at a spa near the Brookfield Square Mall.

Calls to police from The Associated Press rang to the Waukesha County Sheriff’s Department. A woman who answered the phone there said deputies were looking for an active shooter but did not provide any other information.

Beth Strohbusch, a spokeswoman for Froedtert Memorial Hospital, said four shooting victims were taken there, and three more were expected. She said none of the four already received were in critical condition.

WISN-TV reported police were asking people in the mall’s parking lot to clear out, because they had set up operations there.

Tactical teams were on the scene, as well as numerous fire, ambulance and police vehicles. A medical helicopter also was on the ground.

Click for more from Fox6now.com.

At least 7 people injured in ‘mass’ shooting near Wisconsin mall

Published: 21 October, 2012, 21:48

RT

At least seven people have been injured in a shooting spree near a mall in Brookfield, Wisconsin, a hospital spokeswoman says. Officials said this is a “mass casualty” situation, local WISN 12 News reports.

Authorities are looking for a suspect described as a heavy-set, bald black male who is driving a a 2003 Black Mazda.

Area hospitals have been put on alert as more casualties could be coming. Several roads in the area have been blocked off and police are holding tactical positions at the scene of the shooting.

The Brookfield Square Mall remains on lockdown as witnesses say the shooting reportedly took place at the nearby Azana Day Spa.

A bomb sweep of the building is currently underway.

DETAILS TO FOLLOW

Violent crimes in the US on the rise again

Published: 20 October, 2012, 01:38

RT

Casselberry Police investigate a shooting at the Las Dominicanas M & M Salon in Casselberry, Florida October 18, 2012. A gunman opened fire at a central Florida beauty salon on Thursday, killing three women and wounding another before fleeing and committing suicide at a nearby residence, the Orlando Sentinel reported. (Reuters/David Manning)For the first time since 1993, violent crimes in America are on the rise.

Statistics released this week by the US Department of Justice reveal that for the first time in nearly two decades, violent crimes across the country have surged following almost 20 years of data showing a drop in reported cases. In 2011, the total number of assaults and other violent crimes shot up 18 percent when compared to the year prior.

The Justice Department released figures this week after analyzing all types of crimes considered violent by the DoJ, including rape, sexual assault, robbery and crimes that include weapons or end with injury.

Most violent assaults, according to the annual National Crime Victimization Survey, actually remained unchanged across 2011. Simple assaults and aggravated attacks, however, surged by 22 percent, with around 5 million instances of those crimes being logged by police during the last calendar year. Those simple assaults, which clocked in at 3.9 million for last year, are defined as attacks where injuries are minor or nonexistent. More serious crimes, such as rape and robbery, totaled to 1.8 million in 2008.

Despite an evident increase in these serious crimes, the news comes after years of more positive numbers coming from across the country.

“2011 may be worse than 2010, but it was also the second-best in recent history,” Northeastern University criminology professor James Alan Fox tells the Associated Press. “These simple assaults are so low-level in severity that they are not even included in the FBI counts of serious crime,” Fox adds. The AP acknowledges that the Federal Bureau of Investigation only considers aggravated assaults in their personal statistics.

“Twenty years ago we knew what it was like to live through periods of high crime, and it was terrible. If we get another bad crime wave, my fear is we’ll react in a more punitive way and miss the opportunity to learn what is effective when the public is ready to try different things,” Harold Pollack, co-director of the University of Chicago Crime Lab, tells the Christian Science Monitor.

“A 17 percent increase is a pretty small rate relatively to where we were 20 years ago. That’s important to remember,” William Pridemore, a criminal justice professor at Indiana University in Bloomington, adds to their report.

The FBI is expected to release the results from their annual Uniform Crime Report last this month, to which experts suggest to CNN that an overall decline in crime is expected across the board, given that early research revealed a 4 percent drop for the first few months of 2011.

Autopsy pending on body at Calif. shooting scene

Police officers respond to the scene where a man, wearing a mask, set a duplex on fire and then shot five members of a family on Saturday, Oct. 20, 2012 in Inglewood, Calif. A father and his 4-year-old son were killed and a woman and two other young children were wounded by the gunman, authorities said. A 6-year-old boy and a 7-year-old girl were in critical condition, Inglewood Police Chief Mark Fronterotta said. The woman, said to be the children's mother, was being treated for gunshot wounds to the knee and pelvis. An 8-year-old boy was uninjured.   NO FORNS; ; MAGS OUT; ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER OUT; LOS ANGELES DAILY NEWS OUT; VENTURA COUNTY STAR OUT; INLAND VALLEY DAILY BULLETIN OUT; MANDATORY CREDIT, TV OUT Photo: Los Angeles Times, Katie Falkenberg / AP
INGLEWOOD, Calif. (AP) — An autopsy was pending on a charred body found in the Southern California bungalow belonging to a gunman accused of breaking into a neighbor’s home and shooting five family members, killing two of them.Investigators were still gathering information and the autopsy has not yet been scheduled, Lt. Cheryl MacWilliewith the Los Angeles County coroner’s office said Sunday.The shooting rampage before dawn Saturday in Inglewood killed 33-year-old Filimon Lamas and his 4-year-old son. The father was shielding two of his children when he was shot, Inglewood Police Chief Mark Fronterotta said. Lamas’ 28-year-old wife, Gloria Jiminez, was shot in both legs but managed to carry the wounded 4-year-old out of the house.

Paramedics found her collapsed on the street. The child, who suffered a bullet wound to the head, died at a hospital.

“Their efforts were certainly heroic,” the chief said. He called the shooting spree a horrific crime.

Investigators believed Desmond John Moses, 55, set his own home ablaze before entering the family’s home around 4 a.m. wearing a dark cap and a white painter’s mask.

Authorities said he fired 10 times. In addition to the deaths of the father and child and injury to the mother, a 7-year-old girl was wounded in the chest and a 6-year-old boy suffered a bullet wound in the pelvis. An 8-year-old boy escaped injury.

The mother and daughter remained hospitalized in stable condition, Inglewood Police Lt. James Madia said. The 6-year-old boy was released.

Authorities announced late Saturday night that the body was found during a search of the badly burned bungalow, which took hours because it was packed with debris.

“He was kind of a hoarder or pack rat,” Madia said.

He said police planned to continue looking for Moses until an autopsy can identify the body.

Madia said Moses lived in the bungalow for 17 years, while the family lived in the front house for 8 years.

Fronterotta would not discuss the nature of the dispute, but the property owner told the Los Angeles Times that Moses had been fighting an eviction notice and recently lost his case in court.

A woman who knew the family, Judy Castellanos, told the Times that the suspect was reclusive and would not let anyone look inside his home.

Father and 4-year-old son killed, mother and 2 other children injured in Calif. shooting

By Associated Press, Published: October 20

INGLEWOOD, Calif. — Police searched for a gunman who wore a painter’s mask as he set fire to a home before going on a shooting spree early Saturday, killing a father and his 4-year-old son and injuring a woman and two other young children near Los Angeles.The 30-year-old father was shielding two of his children when he was shot, Inglewood Police Chief Mark Fronterotta said.

Also, the 28-year-old woman — said to be the children’s mother — carried the wounded 4-year-old to a neighbor’s yard after the attack.

“This extraordinary rescue attempt by the mother occurred in spite of the fact that she had gunshot wounds to both legs,” a police department statement said.

A SWAT team has set up a perimeter and was using dogs to search for the attacker, who may have lived in a rear house on the property, Fronterotta said.

Police have no motive. But a neighbor, Judy Castellanos, told the Los Angeles Times that the suspect lived in one of three units on the property and described him as “really weird” and “dangerous.” She said he had not paid his rent for years and that a new property owner had been trying to evict him.

“He had been asked to leave by the end of this month,” she told the newspaper, adding that he was reclusive and would not let anyone look inside his home.

Five neighboring houses in Inglewood were evacuated as officers searched residences and the trunks of cars. Other nearby residents were told to remain inside with their doors locked. The suspect was described as armed and dangerous.

Detectives determined the suspect set the house ablaze at about 4 a.m. before he began shooting, Fronterotta said.

He apparently wore a painter’s mask during the attack to try to shield his identity, the chief said. Investigators were trying to determine whether he fled or remained in the house as it burned.

Television footage showed a home gutted by flames and a plume of smoke rising over the residential neighborhood early Saturday.

The woman was being treated for gunshot wounds and was in critical condition, as was a 6-year-old boy with a gunshot wound to the pelvis and a 7-year-old girl with a gunshot wound to the chest, according to a department statement.

The father died in surgery, as did the 4-year-old boy.

An 8-year-old boy was uninjured.

 

MORE NEWS BY NEWS >>